Thursday 14 February 2013

Print samples and final designs


Finally I have finished Assignment 1. In the last 2 weeks since I added a blog entry I have completed the flour resist samples and finish stage 4 - developing designs from my samples.
 
Here are my printing samples:

 
The first layer of colour on this fabric is from the flour resist that didn't work. I did the flour resist over the top in a darker colour again and as you can see it work this time. I then used my leaf motif that I cut out in lino and printed it on top. To add a little texture to the design I add areas of material that I made by using water soluble fabric. Did this work? I am not sure I think it would have been more successful if I had covered the hole of the leafs with with water soluble material .
  

 
In this sample the fabric was dyed with coffee to give it a vintage feel and then I printed the leaves motif over the fabric. I added the lace to the design to add to the vintage feel and to bring the design back to the beginning of the project. I do not think this sample is successful, the lace looks a bit of an after thought I feel that the design needs something else.

 
This is another sample were the flour resist did not work, but I did like the effect that it left so I used it again. I kept this design simple and just repeated the leaf motif along the fabric. When I aplied the paint to the lino I used a paint brush which gave a painterly effect that worked well. I really think this sample worked well. I feel that the simplicity is what makes it work. It made me think of fresco painting and the work of Nicola Henley.



Again in this sample I did not over complicate it. I felt that I wanted the vein design to come through, as this is the part of the design that gives the lace feel. I would have liked there to be more colour on the fabric it feels a little white.
 
Stage 4 - Selecting designs for a specified outcome
 
Here are my designs ideas for a product.
 
I can up with a shrug and a chiffon scarf design which I feel would work well. Scarfs and shrugs are very on trend at the moment and when looking around at the colour that are being used blue jump out at me as a colour that my design would work well with. I used bobbins as tassel's on the shrug design for the Lace link.
 
 
I then felt that another of my samples would work in interiors. Again blue is a trend for 2013. I used this sample on cushions and curtain fabric in a blue colour scheme. I feel that it give what would have been a very masculine colour scheme a feminine edge.
 


 
This is my conceptual/expressive piece. When looking through my research I felt that the decline of making lace by hand jumped out of the page . I feel the risk of losing the knowledge of crafts such as lace making and weaving is sad and that more effort should be made to keep these craft going. So I decided to come up with a design that combine this theme with my finish samples. I felt that decaying leaves could be used to represent this theme and that leaves hanging from the ceiling would look very like lace when you looked through it so would also look beautiful.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment